Old December 15th 06, 12:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london
ruth ruth is offline

Default Help Advice needed

This is my first post on this group, and I wonder if someone here might
advise me..
I am a holder of a disabled persons freedom pass. My disability means I
cannot actually use public transport.. This is a miserable waste
really, when all I would ideally require are some travel vouchers for
my carer so he can come and help me.
Anyway, in September I had to leave my carer in Rickmansworth to find
his own way back to derbys, where he lives.. He usually travels home
from edgware. and he is completely unfamiliar in that area.
I gave him my ticket to use, as I dont use it myself, and He is also
disabled and doesnt have the money to afford the extra fare, so I gave
him the ticket to save him money.
He got stopped at Kings Cross by some revenue inspector, who took his
details, he just agreed with what the inspector said as he didnt want
to be detained and miss his connecting train to derbys, for which he
had a ticket prepaid. He couldnt have afforded to pay another
trainfare. He did have enough spare change on him to purchase a ticket
but wasnt asked to.
He has subsequently received a court summons,
He will plead guilty, to avoid hassle, but he isnt guilty because I
told him he could use my ticket, and he being from up north didnt know
any different.
I do not want him to get a criminal conviction or huge fine because he
doesnt deserve it. He makes the effort to travel 150 miles twice
monthly to check Im OK, and I have no one else to care for me. all this
despite having a seriuos illness himself. He has never been convicted
of any crime, and yet wasnt evengiven the opportunity to simply pay a
penalty fare. He is not a habitual lawbreaker, or some yobbo who tried
to run from the inspectors. and this matter is ruining his health even
more.. The court have only given him 1 week notice before the case,
which is pretty ****e, so we have no time to get proper advice. and he
doesnt want to actually attend court, because I cannot get to Wimbledon
to give evidence.
As I said. he was technically guilty, because he used my pass, but the
fact remains he didnt know he couldnt use it.. I told him he could
because its a disabled pass and he is disabled.
any ideas what we can do?

ruth