Old December 17th 06, 08:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jonathan Morris Jonathan Morris is offline

Default Why don't tube staff enforce the routing systems in stations?

Steve M wrote:
I've managed to negotiate those selfish people weaving
all over the place with their planet-sized suitcases and those coming up
the down direction stairs to the Tube

Who ever designed a bag the size of a small plane and put wheels and a
pull up handle on it? Now people travel with their entire life in a
bag.. and it's usually so heavy that the owner has to wait for someone
to step in and help them up, or down, stairs. A good samaritan soon
realises just how heavy the bag is and vows never to help anyone with a
house-on-wheels again - meaning we move around waiting ages for the
owner to lift their bag up one step at a time.

Most of the time, I find it quite funny - but if you're in a rush, I
can fully understand why people get angry. Right or wrong, it's going
to happen.

I'm actually pretty considerate of my fellow travellers and try not to
get in the way. I look and react.

Me too. It's rather like driving. Walk in a straight line and give a
quick look over the shoulder if you're about to cut left or right to
speed up (that way you won't cut up the person behind that had the same
vision of that gap ahead). If you are wheeling a bag, look to check you
don't hit or trip people. It's not rocket science.

People with kids are different, as kids are unpredictable and must be
kept close in large crowds. Ditto with anyone that is unable to walk
due to any disability, old age etc. My problems are rarely with
children, but arrogant individuals who have no idea that anyone else
even exists around them. Even if they do, they're sure as hell not
going to let you pass.

On the underground, some considerations could also be made to the
positioning of maps/posters and leaflet racks. These are often in
places that encourage people to stop dead to read, pick up a tube map
etc - with inevitable hold ups.

Jonathan