Old December 17th 06, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mad Dog anti EU Mad Dog anti EU is offline

Default Help Advice needed

"ruth" wrote in message
oups.com
| | This is my first post on this group, and I wonder if
| | someone here might advise me..
| | I am a holder of a disabled persons freedom pass. My
| | disability means I cannot actually use public
| | transport.. This is a miserable waste really, when all
| | I would ideally require are some travel vouchers for my
| | carer so he can come and help me.

Do not mind me asking but I thought someone disabled could take someone with
them at discount.

| | Anyway, in September I had to leave my carer in
| | Rickmansworth to find his own way back to derbys, where
| | he lives.. He usually travels home from edgware. and he
| | is completely unfamiliar in that area.
| | I gave him my ticket to use, as I dont use it myself,
| | and He is also disabled and doesnt have the money to
| | afford the extra fare, so I gave him the ticket to save
| | him money.
| | He got stopped at Kings Cross by some revenue
| | inspector, who took his details, he just agreed with
| | what the inspector said as he didnt want to be detained
| | and miss his connecting train to derbys, for which he
| | had a ticket prepaid. He couldnt have afforded to pay
| | another trainfare. He did have enough spare change on
| | him to purchase a ticket but wasnt asked to.
| | He has subsequently received a court summons,
| | He will plead guilty, to avoid hassle, but he isnt
| | guilty because I told him he could use my ticket, and
| | he being from up north didnt know any different.
| | I do not want him to get a criminal conviction or huge
| | fine because he doesnt deserve it.

That will not matter one iota, where is it being dealt with, a Petty
Sessional court ?

Magistrates ?

He makes the effort
| | to travel 150 miles twice monthly to check Im OK, and I
| | have no one else to care for me. all this despite
| | having a seriuos illness himself. He has never been
| | convicted of any crime, and yet wasnt evengiven the
| | opportunity to simply pay a penalty fare. He is not a
| | habitual lawbreaker, or some yobbo who tried to run
| | from the inspectors. and this matter is ruining his
| | health even more.. The court have only given him 1 week
| | notice before the case, which is pretty ****e, so we
| | have no time to get proper advice.

Get a solicitor and a medical letter off your doctor and get an ajournment.
At a court there is always a duty solicitor available for those without
legal advice. He needs to tell the court Usher when he checks in that he
requires to see the duty solicitor. This is normal practice, he/she will
then work out whether your carer can plead not guilty and get away with it,
and will therefore ask for an adjournment.

and he doesnt want
| | to actually attend court, because I cannot get to
| | Wimbledon to give evidence.

You can write a letter which can be produced by the defense for the
magistrates. Write a good letter as to this mans character and it will help
him in court. Magistrates are very sympathetic to this sort of thing.

| | As I said. he was technically guilty, because he used
| | my pass, but the fact remains he didnt know he couldnt
| | use it.

He must say as he is disabled himself he could see no harm at all.

.. I told him he could because its a disabled
| | pass and he is disabled.
| | any ideas what we can do?
| |

You must play on your disability and also must your carer. Tell your doctor
that you have been suffering with anxiety and depression and a lack of
sleep. Tell your carer to make out his nerves were bad and that he felt he
was having a nervous breakdown.

I once knew a teacher who had a breakdown and was blagging his way on trains
due to his illness. The court will take this into consideration, it is
really nothing to worry about.

It is possible to plead not guilty to an offense like this and escape
without a criminal record. What he will get is a binding over to keep the
peace or conditional discharge as long as the complainant is reimbursed.
This would be agreed upon as it is only trivial, he has no criminal record
and it will save a lot of time.

| | ruth

Do not worry about this because it is nothing, just get a solicitor for your
friend and apply for legal aid, the solicitor will do that for you.

--
"A horse a horse my kingdom for a horse, I haven't had a winner in six
months".

MD
www.ukip.org/