Old December 18th 06, 12:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london
John B John B is offline

Default Own journeyplanner

Ralf Mayer wrote:

Well, I did start gathering data and making my own journeyplanner to take
with me on a mobile, and I am able to find quickest routes through most
lines already... but some question to the line setup however remain, I am
certain you will have no difficulties helping me with them:

1) Shepherd's Bush: There is a station by that name on Central and on
Hammersmith & City - are that really different stations? Can someone change
there? How far apart are they? And... why the naming?

Different stations, about 10 minutes' walk apart; the name is the same
for historical reasons (the CLRC and Metropolitan Railway each called
their station in Shepherd's Bush after the district's name). As part of
the new White City development, the H&C station will be renamed
"Shepherd's Bush Market" to avoid confusion (
http://www.alwaystouchout.com/project/24 ).

2) Paddington: Seems to be triple. On H & C as an isolated station, but with
the circle to allow transfers (to where). Then one circle on the Bakerloo,
and another one on the District/Circle section. How is the setup there, how
many different Paddingtons are there and how can one interchange from one to
the other? Do you leave the station / ticket gates to change?

Actually double. The Circle and Bakerloo platforms are linked, inside
the barriers; then the H&C station is actually part of the National
Rail station, alongside the mainline platforms. If you want to change
from H&C to Bakerloo at Paddington, you need to leave one set of
barriers, walk the length of the platform and station concourse, then
go through more barriers.

3) Tower Hill / Tower Gateway: I remember having changed there from DLR to
Circle or so, different stations close to another, right?

Yup. Treated as one for ticketing purposes (Oyster PAYG and singles).

4) Bank / Monument: Bank is for Waterloo, Central and Northern, Monument is
Circle and District? How far are they? Different stations really or one big
one connected sub level?

Bank Central is some way from Monument Circle & District. The other
lines are more or less in between.

5) Central line Hainault Branch: How do the trains run there from central
london? Either all the way straight to Epping, or ... to Hainault, but which
way? What I mean is: How do I reach Chigwell or leave? Does the train loop
through Hainault going to Woodford and back to London? Or is Hainault
reached from both sides and terminus station? And how do trains go from
Hainault, both directions to London or just one??

Trains through Chigwell generally either run from London to Woodford
via Hainault and back, or shuttle between Woodford and Hainault. I
think there may also be a very few that run from London to Hainault via
Woodford.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org