Old December 22nd 06, 05:08 AM
AndreaC AndreaC is offline
Junior Member

Location: Kent & Hounslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by d

That's a damned fine question. I've noticed that lots of the overcrowding
issues in stations during rush hour are due to people bunching up and
doing, well, ridiculous things in public. People slowly meandering across a
foot tunnel, causing everyone behind them to stop and bump into each other.
Mothers dragging their kids along side them, blocking the two-people-wide
passageways. People stopping when at the top of escalators, even if they're
walking the left. Plus, couple in the usual London pedestrian insanity
(randomply stopping dead, or even better, randomly walking backwards), and
people just straight-up not looking where they're going, and the network is
in shambles, simply due to people wandering through the station like they're
on heroin, seeminly incapable to realise when they're getting in other
peoples' way.
I exited TCR from the Northern yesterday lunchtime and although the tunnel between the platform and the escalators is pretty wide, I came up behind a family (mother, 2 children and granny) walking along 4 abreast holding hands. When I said 'excuse me' the mother looked round at me as if I was asking her to sacrifice one of her children, so I then said 'you can't just block the tunnels' at which point I got a torrent of abuse.

I can't help but wonder if her children learned any new words yesterday or if they are already part of their vocabulary?

A.
Anyone can brighten up a room - some do it by entering, others by leaving.