Old December 29th 06, 09:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london
tim..... tim..... is offline

Default Fare rises , legalised extortion?

"Al Holmes" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 22:18:06 -0000, "tim....."
wrote:

"Al Holmes" wrote in message
. ..
On 28 Dec 2006 11:49:49 -0800, "Boltar"
wrote:

Why would you? I don't know any other city metro that penalises people
for buying a normal ticket. If you know otherwise then please tell us
where.

Amsterdam - a single fare paid on the tram costs more than if you buy
a 15 or 45 strip strippenkaart.

This is true of any town that has strip tickets.

But it can't be considered to be a 'normal' ticket because
it's not possible to make seven and a half journeys.

tim

Of course it's a normal ticket

But its not a normal single ride ticket.

- you have assumed that every journey
only uses two strips. Everyone I know who travels from the UK to
A'dam buys (or already possesses) a strippenkaart.

Rubbish.

Only somone expecting to make the requisite
number of journeys will buy the ticket (and not all
of them). For someone expecting to make less,
the ticket will be wasted.

I suspect most tourists will buy a 1, 2 or 3 day pass.

Just like people
visiting to London will buy (or already possess) an Oyster over time.

The cash on an Oyster card doesn't expire, strip cards usually
do (I've no idea about the dutch ones).

Anyway, it's possible to make seven one-zone journeys with a 15 strip
ticket and that would still be cheaper than paying the conductor for
seven individual journeys.

So what. The issue in question is whether the fare it
generates for the journey is the normal fare, not whether
it gives a discount (which I accept that it does).

tim