Old December 29th 06, 09:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Boltar Boltar is offline

Default Fare rises , legalised extortion?

wrote:
service provider having our money up front? Or, do you seriously
suggest that season-ticket holders (for which read Oyster card holders)
should have to pay the exact same fare according to the exact number of
journeys made because that is precisely what the cash-fare-payer would
have to pay? In the same way that you take my example to its logical
but ludicrous extreme, so can yours.

Buying a season ticket is the same as buying in bulk and that usually
gets a discount in most types of transactions whether its a paper
season ticket on an Oyster. My issue is that buying a normal ticket and
buying the SAME type of ticket on Oyster have such a price differential
simply to force you to have an Oyster card.

the tailor advised me to apply for a Burton card there and then, which
I did, which entitled me to a 20% discount! I never used it since, but
was certainly not going to turn down a £200 discount just for filling
in a short form, and using their credit card instead of one I already
had or a cheque.

If you didn't want to pay the higher price for cash you always have the
alternative to go down the road to the next shop. Whats the alternative
option of public transport in london?

They say there's no disciple like the converted - if you have read some
of my earlier contributions, you will realise that I was originally
very opposed to Oyster. I have now used it for 3 or 4 months and am
most decidedly a convert!

Bully for you. I don't have an issue with the card itself , its very
convenient, I've had one myself since they came out (not that I had
much choice in the matter). I have an issue with them stiffing visitors
to the city simply because they DONT have an oyster card. Its counter
productive and just petty spiteful beaurocracy.

B2003