Old December 29th 06, 02:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Fare rises , legalised extortion?

In article .com,
() wrote:

Since I moved from the South East, I only go to London about once a
month now, and since I got my Oyster in Feburary, every trip, bar 1
I have had a problem on.

First time, the gates weren't working at Tott Ct Rd and I got an
unresolved jrny (charged 50p too much), another time I had an odd
journey: -
"Canary Wharf - Unfinished
Unstarted - Cockfosters" - ended up being overcharged by 50p
One time, I was interchanging between NR and LU at Elephant &
Castle, and didn't realise they were 2 separate stations, so didn't
touch out when leaving NR station - paid another 50p.
My last trip. Due to Overcrowding at Bond St (IIRC), they were
exiting everyone by the Fire exit - couldn't touch out, and ended up
with a 70p charge. Later on the same day, I did a journey Westminster
- Canary Wharf, Heron Quays - Cockfosters. It got put down as
Westminster - Heron Quays, and Unstarted - Cockfosters, paid another
50p.

And the ripoff about it - trying to call their phoneline would
almost certaintly end up costing more than the 50p you've lost, so most

people (Including me) don't bother.

On the last occasion, I went to the Ticketoffice to see if he could
fix it, he seemed bemused about all of my problems, and said "That's
Oyster for you" - which sums it up nicely for me.

When I had an unresolved journey (partly my fault as I entered using the
wrong ticket) I got a full refund and a free extra credit of the same £1
50, all from the phone line. My card is unregistered.

--
Colin Rosenstiel