Old December 30th 06, 12:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

Default Brick Lane

And what about the rest of the area Aldgate East serves? I can't see
"Brick
Lane" taking off as a name for that part of London, although is "Aldgate"
or
"Aldgate East" widely used in any formal or informal sense? (London
Metropolitan University calls the old London Guildhall end of things the
"London City" campus.)

I think it makes sense, as I'm sure people have been confused between the
two
in the past. It would be exciting to have a new station name.

The main difficulty would, I suppose, be the cost of printing new maps and
signs. With the current wave of multiculturalism, it would probably be a
good
thing for the neighbourhood. I'm in favour.

If it were named after the area rather than the road it should probably be
called Banglatown (after the Tower Hamlets ward). However, Aldgate East
station serves a much wider area than just Brick Lane. I don't think it
would be a very good idea to rename it. Brick Lane doesn't even meet up with
Whitechapel High Street (Osborn Street links it - perhaps if they are
desperate to rename something they should rename Osborn Street to Brick Lane
first?). Also Brick Lane goes right up beyond Bethnal Green Road and into
the Boundary Estate, a long way from Aldgate East tube and nearer to
Liverpool Street.