Old December 30th 06, 01:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tristán White Tristán White is offline

Default Brick Lane

"Paul Scott" wrote in
:

"Tristán White" wrote in message
9.145...
What do you think of the petition by Brick Lane residents and shop
and restaurant owners to get Aldgate East renamed "Brick Lane" to
boost the area. Having lost Shoreditch station, they're getting a bit
of a rum deal at the moment.

Do they have much of a hope?

Maybe they should proceed by stealth, and ask for notices bythe
platform roundels 'for Brick Lane' cf Maida Vale 'for Little Venice'.
This wouldn't require the entire system to have the maps changed, like
they will for 'Shepherds Bush Market' in due course...
Paul

Something really should be done asap about Shepherds Bush. How confusing is
it to have two completely unconnected stations with exactly the same name.
I wonder how many unsuspecting tourists or lovers have agreed to meet
outside the exit of Shepherds Bush and never found one another....

With the West London Line opening, there'll be a third Shepherds Bush. Can
you interchange between the two existing ones on one journey à la Bow
Road/Church?

Shepherd's Bush Market will make a positive change. Renaming all three
would be even better. But the best option in my opinion, but probably
impossible from an engineering prospect, would be to keep all of them as
Shepherd's Bush and link them all via underground escalator walkways a like
Monument/Bank and Kings X/St P.

Other confusing ones include Hammersmith - two separate stations opposite
one another. But at least the two exits are close to one another, but
having Hammersmith North and Hammersmith South (or wherever they're facing)
would be simpler. Or better still, somehow link the two together and have
them down as two different exits from the same interchange.

Not sure about Paddington one - I think it's possible to get from one to
the other without going to street level isn't it? but you have to walk past
some NR platforms or something.... been a while since I went down there.