Old December 31st 06, 03:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london
asdf asdf is offline

Default Wembley Park platforms 5 and 6

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 03:00:31 -0000, Fig wrote:

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 01:24:09 -0000, Tristán White
wrote:

So I looked over at the dot matrix display on platform 6, which is up the
stairs and across and down again. There was a Jubilee Line train coming
in
1 minute so I figured that I would take that, but if a Met was arriving
on
platform 6 in a minute or two then I'd go and take that instead.

Nothing on the dot matrix, just something about the Metropolitan Line.

From my limited experience, the dot matrix displays on the fast
platforms (1 and 6) never seem to announce anything at all. Same goes
for the indicator in the ticket hall - it never announces anything on
1 & 6.

It's a swine, I agree.
As one who used to commute from Willesden Green to Uxbridge daily [same
probs on plats 1&2] I'm afraid I can't offer much advice. I still use WP
quite often and the best advice is to hang about on the bridge where you
can observe all 3 platforms. Still no guarantee because you have to watch
the front of the train to make sure the one pulling into plat 6 isn't
terminating there for Neasden depot, and even then, it's quite often that
a Baker Street / Aldgate train arriving on one plat will leave after one
that arrives on the other later. [does that make sense?]

AFAIK, if there are trains simultaneously on platforms 5 and 6, the
one on 6 will *always* leave first. This is due to platform 6 being
signalled to allow trains not to stop (so they don't have to slow to
5mph for the starter signal at the end of the platform), so the
convergence of the lines just after the station is within the overlap
of the starter signal on 6, but not the one on 5. So it's impossible
for a train to depart from platform 5 when there's one signalled into
platform 6.

This is all more or less amateur guesswork, so if anyone knows better,
please say so.

I think the intention is that eventually all Metropolitan stopping trains
at WP will use plat 5. Not sure if I'm correct in that assumption, or when
it will ever happen. Till then, wait on the bridge in the warm & dry.

All off-peak fast trains currently stop at Wembley Park, and I don't
know of any plans for that to change.