Old December 31st 06, 11:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Brick Lane

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006, John Rowland wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
John Rowland wrote:

Aldgate East station is in Whitechapel High Street. It should probably
be called Whitechapel, and Whitechapel should be called something
else!

There's no convention in this country that says stations must be named
after the roads there on. Aldgate East is in the vicinity of Aldgate,
so I don't really buy that argument.

No, it's in the vicinity of Whitechapel, as evidenced by the fact that
it's on Whitechapel High Street.

Don't people now refer to the area around Whitechapel tube as Whitechapel,
though?

Yes I know Shepherd's Bush is having a name change - but that's a
change that pretty much everyone can agree on.

I don't know... Shepherds Bush Market has an entrance opposite Goldhawk
Road station. People standing in the foyer of Goldhawk Road Station
looking out will naturally think the they are in Shepherds Bush Market
station, and if they are phoning to be picked up, this could lead to
confusion.

Heh!

tom

--