Old December 31st 06, 09:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Brick Lane

Christian Hansen wrote:
On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 14:07:45 +0000, asdf
wrote:

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 06:18:00 -0000, John Rowland wrote:

What do you think of the petition by Brick Lane residents and
shop and restaurant owners to get Aldgate East renamed "Brick
Lane" to boost
the area.

I hope they don't get their way. The station isn't in Brick lane,
or very near it.

It would also invite a flurry of other requests to rename stations
for commercial purposes, and would leave LU with no excuse to deny
those requests. Look forward to Waterloo being renamed London Eye,
etc. Does the name of South Kensington get changed to Museum
Central or Royal Albert Hall? Perhaps they could hold auctions -
highest bidder gets to name their station.

This already happens in the US, I believe.

I think it's unlikely that there would be any neighbourhood
pressure to rename Waterloo Station to London Eye Station. There
might be some pressure from the museums to rename South Kensington
to something more museum-like, I suppose.

However, station name changes are not unknown here so the debate
around this is healthy. After all, the name of the station should
be descriptive of the area. If the area changes the name of the
station should be up-for-grabs.

I think that we're talking "Brick Lane" as a neighbourhood rather
than strictly as a street.

OK, but what would be achieved by changing the name of Aldgate East?
The profits of second-rate restaurants don't come high on my priorities.
--
Richard J.