Old January 1st 07, 04:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Happy New Year... & thanks for getting me there and back!

Happy New Year to one and all on utl.

And thanks to TfL and the public transport workers of London who
enabled the masses (including me) to travel across the capital to get
to and from the NYE revelry. All the bus drivers and Tube staff I came
across were all in good spirits which was great and added to the
bonhomie of the occasion.

I saw a lot of people were off to the fireworks on the Thames, and this
was positively encouraged. It's quite a sea change from the days of
yore when the official advice from the police was that people shouldn't
come to central London on NYE. Despite the lack of any official
entertainment people nevertheless came in their droves to pack into
Trafalgar Square and the surrounds.

I think the attitude changed after the very popular Millenium
celebrations. Ken Livingstone, elected in 2000, wanted to do something
similar for NYE 2001, but I remember it was all called off pretty late
in the day (in November or December IIRC) which was a dissapointment.
There was then at least one year (maybe more) where there was a big
fireworks display on the Thames but people were nonetheless advised not
to come! This bizarre situation was because the Mayor wanted television
pictures of the London skyline light up with fireworks to appear around
the world, to help with the Olympic bid, in part at least.

It's only been in the past few years that coming into central London to
welcome in the New Year and watch the fireworks has turned from being
discouraged to been encouraged, which I think is great. I'm not quite
sure when that started being the case - the NYE of 2004 perhaps?

I think the very useful through the night Underground service is pretty
new occurance as well - can anyone provide any further information as
to what the situation was in years gone by? I think it used to run
later, but not all night. The TfL funded late night National Rail
services are definitely a new innovation, starting last year I think.

It's all, IMO, a welcome change from the old negative official attitude
that abounded during NYE in London. Good stuff. I'll finish this
incoherent rambling now, as I think I hear the hair of the dog
calling...

Have a splendid 2007.