Old January 1st 07, 07:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default Happy New Year... & thanks for getting me there and back!

Mizter T wrote:
Happy New Year to one and all on utl.

And thanks to TfL and the public transport workers of London who
enabled the masses (including me) to travel across the capital to get
to and from the NYE revelry. All the bus drivers and Tube staff I came
across were all in good spirits which was great and added to the
bonhomie of the occasion.

I saw a lot of people were off to the fireworks on the Thames, and this
was positively encouraged. It's quite a sea change from the days of
yore when the official advice from the police was that people shouldn't
come to central London on NYE. Despite the lack of any official
entertainment people nevertheless came in their droves to pack into
Trafalgar Square and the surrounds.

(snip)

Ditto all that. I enjoyed watching the fireworks from my preferred spot
near Vauxhall - not too busy, but a good view and a good atmosphere all
round, and having the Tube open made getting back a breeze.

I shall look forward to hearing how some of my office-based colleagues
got on - they "volunteered" to give info through the night at the bus
turnaround points.

Happy 2007 to all! I look forward to my second week of leave...

--
Dave Arquati