Old January 1st 07, 09:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Peter Frimberley Peter Frimberley is offline

Default East London Line closure on 22 Dec 2007

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 18:13:03 +0000, Paul Corfield
wrote:

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 12:01:21 -0600, "Tristán White"
wrote:

As you will know, the line closes on 22 Dec 2007 until (at the earliest)
June 2010.

What I can't understand is why it needs to be down for so long. How long
was the Jubilee Line down during the JLE inauguration? Not that long, and
it seems to me that that is an even more complex scheme.

Two and a half years seems a long time to screw the good people of Wapping,
Rotherhithe, Surrey Quays and New Cross and stick them on rail replacement
buses. Could not the rest of the work be done while the ELL is running, and
then shut the ELL down for say just 8 months or so while they link it all
together? I mean, it seems such a long time for a line to be down.

AIUI the ELL is having its power supply, current rails and signalling
all changed to match National Rail standards. This is not a small or
quick job and would probably cost an awful lot more if attempted only in
engineering hours. There would also come a point where LU stock could
not run on third rail power supply so you'd end up with no service then
either.

Wasn't the ELL line completely closed for a few years leading up to
1999 or so, I think it was to line the Thames Tunnel?

Shame they didn't do any of this work then, but I suppose that
although the extension was well into planning by 1999, they probably
didn't know the full scope of works required.

Anyway, it is at least the second time the ELL users have been shafted
for several years in a row. Still, the finished line will probably be
worth it for them!