Old January 2nd 07, 01:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Barry Salter Barry Salter is offline

Default East London Line closure on 22 Dec 2007

MJS wrote:
Yep, by 2010 the line will have been shut for 5 1/2 out of 15 years. I
moved to Rotherhithe during the last year of the previous closure. I was
told by the estate agents that the replacements buses were more useful
and reliable than the line ever was (but who can trust anything they
say?). Anyway I don't remember where I read this but I was led to
believe that during the last closure, the power supply was uprated and
that the line was ready to work at 3rd or 4th rail electrification. If
it needs resignalling then fine, let's just do it properly and not
re-use old pneumatics from the central line.. (I know, it's going to be
to NR standards not LU).

The uprating of the power supply during the last closure was to enable
Class 465 "Networker" EMUs to run through, but it needs further uprating
for the new, more powerful, Electrostars that will be running the
service, and an increase to 16 trains per hour on the core route.

Cheers,

Barry