Old January 2nd 07, 05:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Boltar Boltar is offline

Default East London Line closure on 22 Dec 2007

Paul Corfield wrote:
AIUI the ELL is having its power supply, current rails and signalling
all changed to match National Rail standards. This is not a small or
quick job and would probably cost an awful lot more if attempted only in
engineering hours. There would also come a point where LU stock could

Why will the current rails need to be changed? Drop the centre rail and
keep the outside rail. Done.

not run on third rail power supply so you'd end up with no service then
either. I don't know how much construction is going to be needed on the
current ELL itself to cope with the new standards but I imagine a fair
amount of supporting infrastructure will be needed.

Given that LU and NR trains run together on certain sections of track
already I can't see they'll need to change all that much. I suspect the
real reason they're closing it is that it makes their life a bit easier
, not because its really necessary (bit like the ELL extension as a
whole) and yet again the long suffering overcharged commuter gets
screwed.

line is reliable from day one. If not then TfL will be paying out a lot
of cash to FCC and Southern for delays to services between Central
London and Croydon.

More likely the other way around. FCC couldn't run the proverbial
****-up in a brewery without the beer being delayed going by what
they've done to Thameslink and WAGN.

B2003