Old January 2nd 07, 11:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Brick Lane

In article . com,
(brixtonite) wrote:

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

The difference between modern-day sponsors and those of days gone
by is that they make sure their name in clearly marked all over it.

New Court in Trinity College, Cambridge was originally named
King's Court because King William IV gave some money towards its
construction. Although the court appeared on maps still in print in
my student days as "King's or New Court" it appears the paltriness
of the contribution and the lack of any on-site names caused the
"New Court" name to stick. The Wolfson Building of the late 1960s
has the name firmly engraved where you can't miss it.

I'm sure I never noticed any sign saying Wolfson Building when I was
there....

You can't have used the building's main entrance much then.

but perhaps the reason for King's court not sticking is
that it's a bloody stupid name for a sponsor, being so generic and
commonplace. Wouldn't William IV court have been more likely to
last?

Since they were just starting a 63-year Queen's reign that might not have
been seen in that light?

--
Colin Rosenstiel