Old January 4th 07, 05:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Train drivers

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 17:37:11 -0000, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:

Drivers have to be trained to a high level of stock
knowledge so that they can assist in getting a defective or failed
train out of the way or work with a rolling stock technician who may
be providing advice via radio from the control room.

Which makes me wonder why the rolling stock technician can't operate the
controls to fix the train himself! Did they not think of that?

A mobile RST would do so if the driver cannot clear the problem. A
control room technician cannot intervene directly - there is not a comms
system of sufficient quality on LU to allow that at present. Not sure if
the new Connect system could do so or whether the new Metronet stocks
will allow such intervention. I would have thought the better principle
is to build in reliability and redundancy into the trains to allow them
to keep moving even if a traction motor or some sub system fails.
--
Paul C

Well theve got a long way to travel on the Central Line.