Old January 5th 07, 08:03 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Bill Hayles Bill Hayles is offline

Default Is Edinburgh on the Tube?

On 4 Jan 2007 05:36:38 -0800, "Mizter T" wrote:

Steve Firth wrote:

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 12:38:13 GMT, Bill Hayles wrote:

I was amazed at the number of people who had season tickets from Kent
stations to Bank via London Bridge rather that continue to Cannon Street
and walk.

Under the fare structure we had at the time, the former was considerably
more expensive.

Did anyone bother to tell those commuters? My experience is that no ticket
clerk will ever suggest a cheaper alternative route or indeed inform the
traveller of the best route option. (snip)

I note your overall point. However in the example Bill gave, at the
time commuters would have had to buy a British Rail season ticket from
a BR ticket office, and buy a totally seperate Underground season
ticket from an Underground ticket office, there is thus a bit of a
disconnect.

That's not actually true. We sold season tickets to LT stations - a
specific station - no zones in those days. That's how I know about the
number of people who did it. However, as I posted earlier, it was safer
NOT to suggest an alternative.

Normal singles and returns were only available to a limited number of LT
stations, mainly via the East London Line.

--
Bill Hayles
http://www.rossrail.com