Old October 15th 03, 02:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Nick Nick is offline

Default Lyndhurst Road station - petition

"Peter Smyth" wrote in message

"Ben Nunn" wrote in message
If anyone is interested, I set up a petition to get the historic and

proper
station name reinstated.

http://www.petitiononline.com/lyndhurs/petition.html

BTN

Why?

Because he believes that "... that the name 'Ashurst - New Forest' is an
inelegant abomination, and that Lyndhurst Road railway station should revert
to its proper and historic name." As it says on the petition site.

IMO Lyndhurst Road is completely meaningless to anybody who does not
come from the area.

Most names would be completely meaningless to anybody who doesn't come from
the local area, surely? Unless it was particularly famous for some reason.

When I saw the subject of the thread I didn't have the
faintest idea where Lyndhurst Road was but I do know where Ashurst (New
Forest) is.

On that basis we should call it Ashurst (New Forest (Southampton (Southern
England (UK)))), just to make sure everyone else does then? ;-)

Network Rail aren't likely to pay any attention to an internet petition
anyway.

They might. It's worth a try. If Ben Nunn and other local people want to
change the name of their local station, who are we to object?

Nick