Old January 10th 07, 12:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london
d d is offline

Default Ken to TOCs - end of January deadline to sign up for Oyster PAYG

"asdf" wrote in message
On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 17:08:04 -0000, Mizter T wrote:

TfL's offer to the National Rail (NR) Train Operating Companies (TOCs) to
fund the £20 million cost of installing equipment to allow Oyster
Pay-as-you-go (PAYG, a.k.a. Pre-Pay) isn't open ended, and the deadline -
the 31st of January - is fast approaching. It would appear the Mayor is
keen
to bounce the TOCs into signing up to the deal.

See this TfL press release:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent....asp?prID=1037

"Almost three times as many passengers can pass an Underground payment
gate using Oyster card as can using printed tickets - 40 a minute
compared to 15 a minute."

That's funny - when using a paper ticket I just shove it straight in,
whereas with Oyster I hang back and wait for the previous person to go
through and the gates to close first, in case I pick up a £4 charge.

Just wait for the light to go orange, and you can pass. It never screws up,
and if it would, it would behave like paper tickets, and close before you
could get through, or at least give you a fair chance to not enter and
correct it. But, as I say, I've yet to have it happen to me, and I've been
using oyster PAYG since the beginning.

But please, feel free to congest the gates. It really helps, I hear.