Old January 10th 07, 08:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Ian Jelf Ian Jelf is offline

Default Most scenic route on the tube?

My first reply to mark was so filled with grammatical and typing errors
that I'm submitting it again!

"Because you can't expect people to do two things at once, or at least
not *look* at two things at once. You should choose one item and then,
if there's time, the other. The "correct" technique is to describe
the "TVP" (Total Visual Priority) first and then go onto other (perhaps
equally or more interesting) things. If you don't do this, then people
will ignore what you say as they look at the TVP.

For example, on entering Parliament Square you might as well talk about
the Palace of Westminster first because if you don't, well that's all
people will be looking at anyway, so they'll ignore you.

In the case of Waterloo Bridge, I thought that the Westminster ("Big
Ben" [1]) view and the City (Saint Paul's dome) view were equally
important.

The correct thing to do would have been to prepare people to look one
way (I do Westminster) first before you go onto the Bridge. Then when
that's described and you're part way over, get them to look the other
way. It usually works and is an important if not obvious piece of
technique.

[1] Before anyone talks about towers clocks and bells, yes I know!
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk