Old October 15th 03, 03:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Ben Nunn Ben Nunn is offline

Default Why the piccadilly to Heathrow , why not the District?

Unless I'm very much mistaken, it was Boltar ),
in message who said:
Something I was wondering the other day , when the extension to
Heathrow airport was built why didn't they re-extend the district
line to Hounslow and beyond and divert the piccadilly to ealing? Why?
Because district trains are much bigger and so they would have been
much more room for passengers and their luggage rather than the pokey
little tube trains on the picc.

Was there a good reason for not doing this given the benefits it
would have entailed for passengers with luggage?

I'm not entirely sure that D-stock trains would fit through the tunnels,
unless they deliberately bored them at a wider gauge to prepare for this
eventuality.

BTN