Old January 10th 07, 06:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
James Farrar James Farrar is offline

Default Ken to TOCs - end of January deadline to sign up for Oyster PAYG

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 20:25:46 +0000, asdf
wrote:

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 17:08:04 -0000, Mizter T wrote:

TfL's offer to the National Rail (NR) Train Operating Companies (TOCs) to
fund the £20 million cost of installing equipment to allow Oyster
Pay-as-you-go (PAYG, a.k.a. Pre-Pay) isn't open ended, and the deadline -
the 31st of January - is fast approaching. It would appear the Mayor is keen
to bounce the TOCs into signing up to the deal.

See this TfL press release:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent....asp?prID=1037

"Almost three times as many passengers can pass an Underground payment
gate using Oyster card as can using printed tickets - 40 a minute
compared to 15 a minute."

That's funny - when using a paper ticket I just shove it straight in,
whereas with Oyster I hang back and wait for the previous person to go
through and the gates to close first, in case I pick up a £4 charge.

Then you're wasting your time and throwing away a clear benefit of
Oyster. As soon as the light goes orange, you can touch in/out. As
soon as the light goes green, you can go through the gate, knowing
that your card has been read and accepted.