Old January 10th 07, 08:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Ken to TOCs - end of January deadline to sign up for Oyster PAYG

James Farrar wrote:
On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 20:25:46 +0000, asdf
wrote:

"Almost three times as many passengers can pass an Underground
payment gate using Oyster card as can using printed tickets -
40 a minute compared to 15 a minute."

That's funny - when using a paper ticket I just shove it straight
in, whereas with Oyster I hang back and wait for the previous
person to go through and the gates to close first, in case I pick
up a £4 charge.

Then you're wasting your time and throwing away a clear benefit of
Oyster. As soon as the light goes orange, you can touch in/out. As
soon as the light goes green, you can go through the gate, knowing
that your card has been read and accepted.

Not sure about that. I've been caught out in what I believe is this
scenario:

The person ahead of me has his ticket (paper or Oyster) rejected. The
light goes red, and the gate stays shut. I then arrive at the gate, see
that the light is (by then) orange, touch in my Oyster, and then realise
that there is a person trapped in front of me. But the gates then open
(for me), the person ahead of me goes through, and the gates then shut
before I can pass through. Further attempts to read my Oyster are
rejected.

Your advice should be to touch in on orange only if the light was
previously green, or if no-one is between you and the gate.
--
Richard J.