Old January 11th 07, 04:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Ken to TOCs - end of January deadline to sign up for Oyster PAYG

On 11 Jan 2007 06:09:31 -0800, "Jonathan Morris"
wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:

Oh not again.

The problem won't go away by ignoring it!!

With thanks to the two posters who have commented already I'll make one
thing straight.

I post here for *fun* - this isn't my job or even an extension of it. I
hope I add something to the group by commenting or sharing information.
If people are going to expect more from me than I can ever hope to
deliver - and it's happened once before - I'll simply have to go. (Don't
all cheer at once!).

While I'm sure it would be lovely to imagine that I'm personally
accountable for everything that happens on LU I'm afraid I'm not. I
can't take ownership of every issue or go round quoting one post from a
newsgroup as some grounds for doing something.

You obviously have an enormous "bee in your bonnet" about these gates
and you should therefore raise your concerns through the correct
channels if you have not already done so.

FCC are already noticing the
problem with the new gates on the GN branch, where people are managing
to get through pretty easily.

I assume you have also complained to FCC.

The gates are very slow to open - and close, which frustrates people
with tickets and rewards those without. If you were involved with their
introduction, you must admit that they're far from perfect.

I have not been involved in Prestige or ticket gates for 8 years. The KX
gates are a further development of the Mk1 electric "slim" gate - I was
involved with that development and while not perfect [1] I think it has
done very well given it was used to extend LU gating and has been used
extensively on the TOCs. The fact I can talk about the gates is a sign
of my elephantine memory rather than knowledge of recent developments.

[1] note that I do not believe you can create such a thing as there are
too many necessary compromises between safety, speed and throughput.

--
Paul C