Old October 15th 03, 07:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Above or Below Ground???

James Farrar wrote:
Robin May wrote:

"Ben Nunn" wrote the following in:

And if the presence of a building above defines a station as
'below', does this mean that Canary Wharf DLR is underground?

There is no building above Canary Wharf DLR station. There are
buildings next to it, but the only thing above it is the station
roof.

Heron Quays, however, *is* a case in point, being as it is directly
under Lehman Brothers' new building. (Which is going to be very, very
nice inside when it's finished...)

I think you're confusing "underground" with "under cover". By no stretch of
the imagination is Heron Quays underground. It's on a viaduct for goodness
sake! But it is under cover. For a station to be regarded as
"underground", I suggest it needs to be below the local ground level and to
have no significant natural light reaching the platforms.
--
Richard J.