Old January 12th 07, 05:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] rsj100@york.ac.uk is offline

Default Inspector Sands

Mizter T wrote:

Ian F. wrote:

"Jonathan Morris" wrote in message
ups.com...

I don't know what the specific procedure is with regards to fire alerts
and evacuating Underground stations - perhaps someone who does know
might like to enlighten us - but I am certain that if there is any real
fire risk then the station is evacuated...

Well, not an Underground station, however...

A couple of years ago I was walking down one of the central platforms
at Kings Cross mainline when the "Inspector Sands" announcement turned
into a full-blown evacuation. After thirty seconds of people hurrying
to and fro GNER staff gestured for those on the platform to board the
train, and it promptly departed ten minutes early.

I suppose in some ways it is safer to extract several hundred people
from the situation aboard a train instead of adding to the crowds
exiting through the usual exits.

Robert

P.S. Don't bother replying to my email address - I'm not there anymore!