Old January 13th 07, 03:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tim Woodall Tim Woodall is offline

Default So much for the Oyster Revolution in London

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 12:12:31 -0000,
Nicks wrote:

There is also the issue of physical cash - going cashless removes
considerable security risks for staff handling coins/notes.

Except that I typically top up my oyster card with cash. I'd use the
auto-topup except that I use the tube so rarely that I've not yet
managed to be able to predict when/where I'll next use it.

I also have a worry that, because I use oyster so rarely, there's a
possibility I could lose my card and have it being used fraudulently for
a month before I got my visa bill and saw the problem with auto-topup
although I think it sends you an email when auto-topup is triggered and
I keep my oyster card with my goldcard so I'm unlikely to lose one
without the other and I would notice my goldcard being lost so I'm
prepared to take the risk with auto-topup

But why can't you just go into a station and then straight back out
without incurring a charge? On one occasion I spent as long on the tube
as I would have done walking because I entered the gates before I
realized there were line problems: stupid, I know, that I wouldn't just
write off the 1.50 and instead struggled with multiple changes at packed
stations, but it's a psychological thing - if I'm paying then I expect
to get to use it.

Tim.

and there was light.