Old January 13th 07, 06:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Cross River Tram Depot at Walworth

John Rowland wrote:

Bob wrote:

Ms Shawcross said: "A tunnel crossing would avoid adding to the
disruption of the walking routes across the park.
"It would allow the tram to cross the park without further severance
and without reducing the traffic capacity along Wells Way.

LOL. So she doesn't want anything to limit the number of cars crossing the
park, but God forbid that any trams should cross it!

I've got a better idea.... why not have a round pond stretching across the
entire middle of the park, and put the tram rails an inch beneath the water
level? That way the amenity value of the park would be increased, and it
would actually become a tourist attraction.

And they could get rid of Wells Way... the distance from Old Kent Rd to
Walworth Road is
* comparable with the width of Regents Park
* not much wider than the gap in the road network created by the
pedestrianisation of Belsize Terrace, or the barrier in Hermtage Road N15
* comparable with the gaps between Chelsea Bridge and neighbouring bridges
* is comparable with the gap in the road network created by the railway from
Brockley to Honor Oak Park.

I'm going to post about the Cross River Tram in a bit more depth here
very soon, given that it's currently out to public consultation until
the end of the month.

However for the moment all I'll say is that I'm familiar with the area,
and whilst the idea of a continuous park is splendid, Wells Way is a
rather critical road for north south traffic. If it was removed it
would create substantial problems in terms of extra traffic flow on
Walworth Road and to a slightly lesser extent Old Kent Road.

There is already a subway beneath Wells Way connecting the two sides of
the park. Burgess Park is a great bit of open space, but it has a
somewhat unfulfilled potential - there's plenty of other schemes that
would improve the park apart from removing Wells Way.