Old January 14th 07, 02:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Boys killed by Underground train after spraying graffiti

John B wrote:

wrote:
Why don't you emigrate to Singapore - I'm sure you'll feel a whole lot
better there.
Yes, and safe from not only the thugs who make all of our lives a
misery, but also the bleeding-heart liberal apologists too. Does the
cap fit?

Yes, I rather thought that living in one of the most authoritarian
states in the world, one with a high death penalty rate and heavily
censored media, would appeal to some here. Mind you, given a bit more
time we could be joining them thanks to Blair and co.

I realise that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but given that I am a
very self-disciplined person, not given to rocking the boat
politically, and with little interest in "party politics", but rather
more interested in getting to and from work safely, and not flinching
every time I hear a thug walking past my car for fear that he will
vandalise it, or assault me (or worse) should I have the temerity to
remonstrate with him or his many cohorts which make leaving my home
after nightfall a rare and dangerous experiece (and I live in one of
the better streets in Fulham!), and having no philosophical objections
to the death (or other draconian) penalties for those so deserving, and
a thorough disgust for the prurient rubbish printed in the vast
majority of our newspapers and television media, Singapopre certainly
appeals.

In fact, Singapore simply reflects our own culture at the time of its
independence, and I am frankly, a little tired of the seemingly racist
view that their society is any less valid than 21st Century Britain.

And you haven't emigrated there because...?

Incidentally, I'm neither particularly well-built nor particularly
hardcore, but despite living somewhere appreciably worse than "one of
the better streets in Fulham" I've rarely if ever found leaving my
house after nightfall dangerous or even scary. Am I incredibly lucky,
incredibly blasé, or is everybody else just paranoid...?

I think a lot of people are pretty paranoid. Bad things do indeed go on
out on the streets, I'm not trying to deny that, but I really hate the
whole living in fear thing that some people seemingly embrace.