Old January 15th 07, 01:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Michael R N Dolbear Michael R N Dolbear is offline

Default Ken to TOCs - end of January deadline to sign up for Oyster PAYG

Paul Corfield wrote
[...]
Not really sure about this as every LU gate can recognise a fare from
every station in the zonal area. Where the TOCs have installed gates
then "in theory" such gates should recognise the fare from everywhere
that can issue to that location. I don't believe it actually works

like

Most NR gates seem to just recognise tickets that terminate at the
gate's location (point to point seasons and ordinary tickets) plus in
zone travelcards. Break of journey on a season or a ticket means going
to the manual gate.

There have been upgrades so now gates recognise break of journey at
Clapham Junction on point to point tickets but "recognise the fare" ?
No.

"Sir, you didn't touch in so we assume you came from Plymouth".

Not that it can't be done but it needs the system design to be
rethought.

that but I can't see any issue with such equipment knowing fares from

LU
zonal origins and all NR locations within the zones as a minimum
requirement.

Where it gets complex is what the fare is for a given journey -
especially as more orbital journey opportunities become available.