Old October 16th 03, 08:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Spamblocker Spamblocker is offline

Default Lyndhurst Road station - petition

Does anyone know where Preston Road is?

It's in Preston, a London suburb with a more famous namesake up north. The
"Road" helped distinguish, when built, the station in Preston Middx from the
stations in Preston Lancs and Preston Sussex. I think it's a bad name for
the station - "Uxendon" would have been more distinctive, and equally
geographically valid. The name Uxendon seems to have largely disappeared
from maps.

I grew up there, but I never heard anybody call the area "Preston",
always jsut "Preston Road." I understand that historically the village
was called Uxendon, but nobody uses that name either.

--
"Michael C.