Old January 16th 07, 10:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Larry Lard Larry Lard is offline

Default TfL by 2016

Dave A wrote:
brixtonite wrote:
Dave A wrote:

Shepherd's Bush (WLL) will almost certainly be the next new station to
open in London - construction is nearing completion and I hear that
Network Rail are keen to get the station operating as soon as possible
(probably the second quarter of this calendar year).

That sounds good. I'm surprised by how busy the WLL is already - it's
been full and standing when I've taken it - even though there are only
four stations. It has the potential to be very useful, although
unfortunately the RUS (I think it was) ruled out even 4 tph in the near
future, and I reckon 6 tph is the minimum for a turn-up-and-go service,
particularly when many people will be interchanging from other lines.
But certainly Clapham Junction to Shepherd's Bush will be an order of
magnitude easier with the new station.

My observations of the WLL are certainly that AM peak northbound trains
arriving at Olympia are full and standing. The RUS estimated about 1,000
passengers per hour leaving Clapham Junction on the WLL in the morning
peak, with an average load factor of 103% (ratio of passengers to
seats). Whilst this isn't as high as some LU and other NR routes, I
think it indicates a strong underlying demand given the relatively poor
and uneven frequency.

Well it's their manor I guess, but my experiences a couple of years ago
of the morning peak from Clapham Junction northbound were of loading
factors considerably higher than that - 'full, standing, and
complaining' as they used to say in BR days!

--
Larry Lard

The address is real, but unread - please reply to the group