Old January 16th 07, 11:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default So much for the Oyster Revolution in London

Earl Purple wrote:

wrote:
Is there a ticket machine right by either of the bus stops? You can buy a
one-day ticket from those.

No there isn't, but with pre-pay now it is a problem only if we intend
to use national rail at some point.

Sometimes one may ride without paying because there is simply no
convenient way to do so. On one occasion a couple of years ago I did
just that from Pudding Mill Lane to Canary Wharf because there was no
option to renew a season. As it happens I did end up "paying" for the
journey later but had to go to Canary Wharf Jubilee Line station to do
so.

By the by Canary Wharf DLR station's information booth (on the middle
platform) can sell you tickets and it 'does' Oyster, though I suspect
it might be akin to a newsagent and thus can't sell you single tickets.
It can also sell you tickets to West End shows.

On another occasion I free-rode from Finchley Road & Frognal because
there was no option to renew a season there and didn't want to head to
Finchley Road tube and back to do it. I think that journey was also
probably paid for when I eventually got somewhere that I could renew
the season.

Also once went Moorgate to Bowes Park on pre-pay then walked to Bounds
Green to renew the season that would start the next day and touched
"out" there by reaching over the barrier that opens. So once again the
journey was actually paid for. Yes I could have changed at Finsbury
Park and headed to Bounds Green on the Piccadilly Line but I didn't
want to.

Though in the last example you only paid FCC for *part* of your journey
- the Moorgate to Finsbury Park portion. The Oyster system would have
allocated the rest of the journey and hence the rest of the revenue to
LU for a Piccadilly line journey from FP to Bounds Green. The Finsbury
Park to Bowes Park portion of your journey on FCC was therefore not
paid for.

And before anyone says anything yes I'm sure the Oyster PAYG revenue
sharing arrangements are far more complex than outlined above, but the
point stands.

Of course it's about time Oyster PAYG was valid on the FCC Great
Northern lines, and indeed everywhere else, but that's a different
topic that's in almost perpetual discussion here on utl!