Old January 16th 07, 05:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default TfL by 2016

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 23:26:00 +0000, Tom Anderson
wrote:

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007, Paul Corfield wrote:

I continue to be boggled that LU has not mandated a single standard for
signalling systems.

There are standards mandated for signalling systems. However it would be
crazy for them to mandate one manufacturer's solution. It would be a
licence to print money. The real issue is about the extent of or
requirement for interoperability between lines. Apart from the sub
surface railway the only places where this routinely happens is Met and
Picc west of Rayners Lane and west of Acton Town. All other interworking
is for emergency purposes only.

Come to think of it, can trains be rerouted in this fashion anywhere
else?

I think there's some flexibility out west where the Picc and District run
together, BICBW.

You are correct. It also exists for the Met and Jubilee Lines at present
and as I have mentioned above.

I don't know whether a Picc train would fit all the way round. [...] I
imaging Aldgate might be a little exciting with a train of 73 stock

So is the tube (or at least the Picc) loading gauge or kinematic envelope
or whatever the kids call it these days not strictly smaller than the
SSL's?

*looks it up*

Ah, no, TS73 is narrower but longer than C stock, so given a tight enough
curve, it will hang further out over the edge. Presumably, that means
current D stock also wouldn't enjoy going through Aldgate much.

Without knowing the details that was the basic point I was making. 73
stock carriages are long and I suspect they may struggle with the circle
line platforms at Aldgate. Don't know about D stock.
--
Paul C