Old January 20th 07, 10:08 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Joyce Whitchurch Joyce Whitchurch is offline

Default No online information during storms

Neil Spellings wrote:
I'd like to congratulate National Rail, Transport for London, Southern
Trains and the BBC for all failing to provide any kind of up-to-date
travel information on station closures during the storms on Thursday.

Well I can't comment on TfL or Southern, but I thought NRES and the BBC
did a pretty good job on Thursday. I should think both were getting a
hundred times the normal number of hits, probably even more, and the
NRES system only fell over for about an hour or so. (The "Current
Service Alterations" page kept going but "Live Arrivals and Departures"
froze for a while.)

And, as with any operating difficulty on the railway, the problem is
more about getting the information from the people on the ground than
disseminating it to the passengers. It's no use asking somebody like
Ross how long his train is going to be delayed while he's still
underneath it with his Junior Hacksaw.
--
Joyce Whitchurch, Stalybridge, UK