Old January 21st 07, 12:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Andrew Andrew is offline

Default North Weald

"Mizter T" wrote in message
oups.com...
Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:

wrote:

Looking at North Weald on
http://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/ I didnt
realise how rural the station was, I always thought Chesham and
Amersham
were the most rural but seeing the pictures it was clearly not the
case.

How is Chesham rural? It's just a few hundred metres from the town
centre.

And Amersham doesn't feel very rural either - both towns are within easy
walking distance even if there are those lovely woods next to the line.

Which begs the question as to whether any LU station can be defined as
rural? I'm racking my brain but to be honest I can't think that any
station really fits the bill - well not these days at least!

Blake Hall was unique on LU in being too remote to have a mains electricity
supply. The station lighting was fed directly from the DC traction supply,
and the lights used to dim as the train accelerated away from Ongar.

Andrew