Old January 21st 07, 11:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
DaveP DaveP is offline

Default Penalty fares for sitting in First Class

When you say "full" do you mean that all standard class areas have
fully occupied seats and no standing room, or the more usual, no
desirable seats available (occupied by people/bags) and the rear
carriage is half empty as it means a long walk at the destination to
leave the station.

That was my interpretation of other peoples actions, as I said at the end,
I personally wouldn't, because I don't want the argument about the rights
or wrongs of it and the ultimate PF. In fact as a season ticket holder I
don't think that's an option if I'm caught in first - they just confiscate
the ticket on the spot because you should have known better. But it doesn't
make it frustrating to see spare seats going begging for the journey - the
last stop before everyone gets off and you know they're not going to be
used.

The train I get each morning has all its seats occupied by people (I would
always ask someone to move their bag/feet/shopping or move out so I can use
the blocked window seat). This is at 6.50 on a 4 coach train with two
virtually empty first class compartments which could seat maybe 18 people
each.

Regards, Dave