Old January 21st 07, 12:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Jonathan Morris Jonathan Morris is offline

Default Penalty fares for sitting in First Class

Matt Wheeler wrote:
When you say "full" do you mean that all standard class areas have
fully occupied seats and no standing room, or the more usual, no
desirable seats available (occupied by people/bags) and the rear
carriage is half empty as it means a long walk at the destination to
leave the station.

I've been on a couple of services where I could genuinely say that it
was full (all seats). This is more likely in the rush hour, where
people will ask passengers to move bags and coats off otherwise empty
seats.

At most other times, it's a case of people trying to keep empty seats
next to them - and people are too scared to ask them to move whatever
it is they've put there. Should this count as a full to capacity train?
It's certainly the majority. I have no hesitation to ask someone to
move something, but you will often get the look that says 'That's MY
seat - how dare you take it'. You just have to get on with it, or be
willing to stand.

As for half the train being empty, that's also true at times.

Jonathan