Old January 21st 07, 04:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Bill Harris Bill Harris is offline

Default Penalty fares for sitting in First Class

DaveP wrote:
those days) and I regularly upgraded to First - if I had time I would
do it at the ticket office or if the train was busy I would sit in
first and pay the excess fare - definately only the difference between

You can do this if you have a normal ticket, but not a season ticket. If
you have a season ticket you are treated as a fare-dodger and they will
likely withdraw the season ticket at the same time for inappropriate use.

The conditions of carriage state the ticket upgrade must be purchased
before the journey begins if you have a season.

Regards, Dave

Thanks for the comments - the way the thread started it sounded as
though it was not possible under any circumstances to upgrade.

As I am now retired and my wife is disabled and unable to easily use
public transport my train travel is very restricted

Thanks for the replies

Bill