Old January 21st 07, 06:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
4sub 4sub is offline

Default Penalty fares for sitting in First Class

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

"Mystery Flyer" wrote in message
A long time ago (1984 ish) I was on a First Class Only service from
Crewe I seem to rembember. Do such things still exist. The RPI let me of
on the grounds that it was the only train to get me to where I was going
but he said I should technically have not got on it at all!

That was presumably the Manchester Pullman. It, and its predecessor the
Midland Pullman, were the only first class only scheduled daytime trains
of
the BR era, and between them ran from about 1960 to 1984. There were also
few trains formed of first class sleeping cars only, such as the 'Night
Limited' (Euston - Glasgow).

In the Victorian era first class only trains were not unusual - the Great
North of Scotland Railway even ran a train which was advertised as first
class only, but third class accommodation available for servants
accompanying passengers travelling first class.

AFAIK there haven't been any first class only scheduled trains since 1984.

Peter

The only first class only we worked on the Southern was the Boat Trains
Waterloo/Southampton Docks where my guards at Clapham Jct and RPI's at
Cannon Street at a later date were employed in 'Cap doffing duties'