Old January 22nd 07, 11:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Walter Mann Walter Mann is offline

Default Penalty fares for sitting in First Class

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
ups.com...
Tim Roll-Pickering wrote:

Why no option to upgrade on an individual journey when using a Season
Ticket?

ISTR that this is (or was) possible, and the charge is the difference
between the Standard Open/Day Single and First Open/Day Single fares,
depending on which is available for that journey (rarely will you find
both). It has to be paid before boarding if there is a facility to do
so, which is a bit of a pain because the only reason I would ever do it
is if I saw Standard to be so busy that it would be seriously
unpleasant to travel therein.

The context was paying on board, not upgrading in advance, which you
address, though your qualification "if there is a facility for doing so"
isn't specifically referred to in :

http://nationalrail.co.uk/system/gal...misc/NRCOC.pdf
[Condition 39]

which simply says that if you haven't done it an advance you are treated as
having no ticket.

In answer to the question "why", I can only assume it's a response to the
perceived risk of abuse.

--
Walter Mann