Old January 22nd 07, 05:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default North Weald

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 22:24:47 GMT, wrote:

"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote in message

From your comments I dont think I can ever see the line going past Epping
again. Would other people agree?

Pretty much. Leaving aside ownership of the line, power supply issues, the
stock used and so forth, a key problem is that it's so far out and remote
that it would be reliant on a lot of Park and Go travellers, or those
brought in by buses. And you'd need very skewed fares and/or car parking
rates to make it economical for passengers to use North Weald and Ongar
rather than Epping or other stations.

Do you think there is a danger of Epping closing?

Not at all - why on earth would it close? I don't believe Essex County
Council have any say on this section of line - when they did back in the
80s then there were constant threats of cutbacks. While TfL does not
levy a precept on residents who live in Essex (so therefore the section
beyond Woodford is what we are talking about) a decent slice of its
finances come from central government and thus all taxpayers across the
country. Therefore local residents pay via their taxes and fares (if
they use the line for travel).

It's a pretty busy station and a railhead for the surrounding area - I
understand the car park is full every working day. I can imagine there
would be a huge outcry if the line was suggested for closure. The
writing off of large sums of recent expenditure in the train fleet,
tracks, embankment stabilisation and signals / control systems would
also be questionable as well.

--
Paul C