Old January 22nd 07, 11:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

Default 7day travel card on Oyster for overseas visitors

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 00:01:23 -0000, peter wrote:

I will be staying in London for 11 days later on in the year

I will be arriving Eurostar (Waterloo). Can anyone advise me how long it
takes to purchase a 7day travel card on Oyster (I assume you have to go
the underground booking office, or can a machine issue one)? Also what
paperwork is required, and is it easy later, to add PAYG to the card (can
you just "topup" a card even thought it hasn't previously been used for
PAYG)

It is possible to purchase PAYG oystercards in Sydney but not Travel
cards
on Oyster (the TFL website for visitors will sell 7day travel cards but I
think they are issued as paper travel cards, and no amount of emailing
will
get a response)

The length of time it will take depends only on the length of the queue at
the ticket window. You don't need any paperwork at all. The actual
transaction should take only a few seconds.

Once you have your oyster card you can load it with pre-pay (PAYG) at any
time at a machine. If you are planing on using pre-pay and can purchase a
card at your home then I would advise you to do that. You can add a 7 day
travel card once in London at a machine and avoid the queue at the ticket
window.

HTH

--
Fig