Old January 23rd 07, 01:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Trains no longer waiting for pulling-up train

MIG wrote:

Tristán White wrote:
I've noticed, in the past few weeks, a decrease in courtesy when trains
actually wait for passengers to leave the arriving train across the
platform.

(snip)

I wouldn't be surprised, given that bus drivers are definitely
instructed not to stop at compulsory bus stops any more, unless someone
very forcefully requests it, and given that "target dwell times" at
each station are an instruction to shut doors on passengers (I've had
an admission of this in writing).

I've not really noticed such problems at bus stops - what I have
noticed is people being lazy and not requesting their bus, expecting it
will stop because it always does. Though yes, on reflection, on a few
occasions at busy times when there's been a queue of buses at the stop
I have seen one of them sail by on the outside lane.

However, it occurs to me that there used to be signs addressed to the
guard at places like Mile End, asking them to wait. Now that there
aren't any guards, it's less practical for the driver to be keeping an
eye out for trains in a different platform, being only able to look in
mirror at their own train. Another benefit of reducing staff ...

I've seen such signs recently-ish, perhaps at Finchley Rd or Queens
Park (or both), so it's not something that vanished with the guards.
Perhaps it's a result of each lines punctuality drive - maybe they're
getting competitive between themselves?