Old January 23rd 07, 07:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london
artemis99 artemis99 is offline

Default Trains no longer waiting for pulling-up train

Moving back to the tubes, I've noticed the same at Stockwell changing
from Northern to Victoria - in this case although the link between the
platforms is not open for the drivers to see, it's clear that when a
large group of passengers walk out onto the platform that a northern
line train has just emptied out, yet the driver will invariably close
the doors and pull out. While at peak times this is no great loss as
there won't be a long delay between VL services, off-peak it can mean
7-9 minutes wasted at times. What's more, in this case the VL train is
invariably empty having just left Brixton, so LU is basically wasting
not only the infrastructure of having the tube lines running parallel
but also the capacity! Can it be that hard to have a cctv feed from the
opposite platform for the driver to see??

Neil Williams wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

I've not really noticed such problems at bus stops - what I have
noticed is people being lazy and not requesting their bus, expecting it
will stop because it always does.

Could some of them be foreign? I ask because in Germany it is not
necessary to signal a bus to stop - indeed, it is more usual to wave it
past if you do *not* want it. In the Netherlands it is usually not
necessary to signal.

Notably in Milton Keynes people often don't on even the hail and ride
routes - yet I've never noticed anyone appear to get missed as a
result. The drivers must be psychic...

Neil