Old January 23rd 07, 12:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Trains no longer waiting for pulling-up train

MIG wrote:

(snip)

There have historically been white (compulsory) bus stops and red
(request) bus stops in London. There still are. Children are taught
by their parents that they have to stick their arm out or ring the bell
to get on or off at a red bus stop.

At a white stop, you shouldn't need to. That's not laziness.

Now that drivers have been instructed to treat all stops as request
stops, why doesn't TfL make them all red to save confusion?

Have drivers been officially instructed to do that? I'm certain that
it's hasn't become official TfL policy to treat all stops at request
stops.

I can quite believe that it has become the unofficial policy at some
bus companies though, as it happened to me this morning - i.e. a bus
slowed down at a compulsory stop, indicated, but then pulled out again.
In mitigation I should add that it was busy, with another two buses
behind, and I suspect I didn't convey much purpose and meaning as I was
half asleep! Normally I always stick my hand out whatever type of stop
I'm at, but this morning I didn't, perhaps as I had this discussion in
my head.